Manual Lymphatic Drainage
WHAT IS MANUAL LYMPH DRAINAGE (aka MLD)?
Well for one, it’s NOT massage! MLD addresses the fluid in the body by using a gentle skin stretch rather than manipulating the muscles. Precise, rhythmic techniques stimulate the flow of fluid to support your immune system, alleviate swelling + congestion, relieve pain + inflammation, and have a positive effect on your parasympathetic nervous system. This supportive therapy is the answer to addressing skincare concerns, sinus + facial congestion, headaches, inflammation, injuries, swelling, bloating, and stress. Ideal for pre/post-op surgeries of all kinds; plastic surgery, dental work, hip replacement (or any joints), post travel, digestive discomfort and so much more!
*NOTE: MLD is used to treat serious conditions like lymphedema which I am not yet truly qualified to treat. I encourage you to read more about MLD here.
Be prepared for one of the most relaxing treatments…and don’t be surprised if you fall asleep immediately! I use a combination of my hands and the lymphatic brush, a revolutionary tool that ‘sweeps’ the fluid from your tissues. Not just a beauty treatment, MLD supports healthy, better functioning skin that just happens to reveal contours, reduce puffiness, create brightness, and address a slew of skin conditions such as acne and rosacea. *This is just MLD. If you are looking for additional massage techniques plus MLD book a FEEL GOOD FACE MASSAGE session!
MLD is beneficial for a range of conditions from pain + inflammation to pre or post-surgery, injury recovery, edema, jet lag or, when you need deep relaxation. The lymphatic brush is the perfect companion to my hands and once you learn how to use it, can be a great tool for self-care!
*If you are receiving MLD for a specific condition or for pre/post surgery, consecutive or consistent sessions are more beneficial for both preparation, recovery, and maintenance. Let’s discuss the right program for you!
IS MLD FOR EVERYONE?
Yes, BUT there are several absolute contraindications for receiving MLD and some relative based on your health history. An increased lymph flow may not be a good idea if your systems are compromised.
These are a no-go!
- cancer: active cancer or not yet diagnosed tumors
- thrombosis: an acute deep vein thrombosis (DVT) creates a danger for an embolism
- congestive heart / kidney failure: an increase of fluid in the body may cause strain on the heart and/or kidneys already weakened function
- active inflammation or infection: a viral or bacterial infection can cause local or systemic heat, redness, pain, fever, cellulitis
You can receive MLD but please inform me of any underlying conditions so I can adjust your session accordingly.
- hyperthroid: MLD can flood your circulatory system with hormones
- low blood pressure: blood pressure can continue to fall while receiving an MLD treatment
- asthma: MLD inhibits the sympathetic nervous system which dilates the bronchi; therefore a potential for an asthma attack exists
- skin lesions: deeply pigmented and raised lesions are to be avoided
- menstruation: MLD can increase flow
- pregnancy: MLD is appropriate but just like massage, dependent upon your pregnancy
GIFT CERTIFICATES AVAILABLE!